top of page

Visas and Residency (Brexit)

If you were legally resident in Spain before 1 January 2021, you will be able to stay. You must ensure you are correctly registered as a resident. Children must also be registered with their own residency document.

If you are registering for the first time, you will be issued with a biometric residence card called a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE). This card will prove your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you registered as a resident before 6 July 2020, you will have a green A4 certificate or credit card-sized piece of paper from Extranjeria or the police. This is still a valid document and proves your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you have trouble using your green EU residence certificate, read the Spanish government’s informative note on documentation for UK nationals. This explains which documents you can use to prove your residence and Withdrawal Agreement rights in Spain. You can refer to this informative note when dealing with service providers.

You can exchange your paper EU residence document for the new TIE but you are not required to.

The Spanish government recommends obtaining the TIE because the biometric card is more durable. It will also simplify administrative processes and border crossings.

Read the Spanish government’s guidance on how to apply for the new TIE.

For more information:

  • see the Spanish government’s information on residency for UK nationals living in Spain before 1 January 2021

  • read the Spanish government’s guidance for UK nationals living in Spain before 1 January 2021

Additional support

If you need additional support to complete your residency application, read the guidance on the UK Nationals Support Fund.

Other local support

For details of official Spanish government and non-government organisations including in the voluntary sector, visit the Support in Spain website.

Moving to Spain

You must register as resident, or apply for the appropriate visa if you want to stay in Spain for more than three months. Read the Spanish government’s guidance on moving to Spain (in Spanish).

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page